Sunday

Table Mountain and the Southern most tip of Africa

In Cape Town, New Years day is a day that the "colored" (not black and not white) people, dress up in their minstrel clothes and party, party, party. I so wanted to be able to be downtown to see the festivities, but there just wasn't enough time. On our way to Table Mountain, however, we were on the fringes and here are a couple of pictures.





They were collecting money for some purpose. I gave some money just to be able to get a better picture.

I know they had a great time.

Next are some photos from the top of Table Mountain. The photos are looking down on Cape Town.



The white strip on the picture below is Camps beach where we were at a couple of days ago.



We then headed out of town to get to the southern most tip of Africa. Here are some pictures we made on the way there.

I promise I did not feed him!!



We finally arrived at the southern most point of Africa. This is where the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean meet.



The next morning we drove to George. We went through these lovely mountains on the way..... It was like being in a fairy tale.



Here is the hotel we stayed in. It had a thatched roof. The first time I had ever been inside a building with a thatch roof.

Well I learned something new. If a building has a thatch roof, this is the way it looks inside. This is the ceiling in our hotel room.



I caught this authentic steam train. We couldn't ride it because it was full.......maybe next time.



We went to a zoo. Here is a crocodile.



A rare white Bengal tiger.



And for a fee, we were allowed the privilege of petting a cheetah. (Yes, I really did this and No, he was not drugged!!) This cheetah will be leaving South Africa soon for a zoo in Philadelphia.


No comments: